Friday, September 5, 2008

The first step to success is starting

Okay, I'll never make it as a motivational speaker.  After signing off last night I got inspired to map out my next four weeks of projects.  After all knitting a hat, scarf, mittens and at least one pair of socks for a busy person like me in four weeks is crazy. And to top it off all of it has to be on hand spun yarn? That's just crazy talk. Especially when you consider the scarf I want to knit is of mohair!  So I mapped it out.  I can knit a hat in a day or day plus, I can knit a mitten a day so a pair in a weekend.  Socks are about the same maybe a pair in three days if I buckle  down and knit. But what about the mohair?  

This morning I got up an hour early rifled through my fiber stash and found my"been waiting for a good excuse"  bag of mohair locks.  I also grabbed my flicker and headed downstairs for breakfast. After a hearty meal of scrambled eggs, toast, fruit and a glass of milk I sat down and started combing through the locks and making a wonderous cloud of mohair.  I grabbed a spinning wheel (my Kromski Sonata) and started spinning.  I tried very hard to make it look like the commercial mohair yarn I had originally purchased for this project.  I am very pleaded.  I had half of my bobbin filled by the time I had to sign on to the phones for work.  By the end of the evening I had two bobbins filled and ready to set twist.  I'm going to knitty noddy them into skeins tomorrow morning and rinse them and let them dry in the drying cabinet and after work I am going to cast this project on.  If I knit this weekend I might have it done by Tuesday.  I'm thinking of spinning up some single ply alpaca form the gloves and maybe make the hat matching.  I am torn between a stocking had and a beret.  Times like this I wish I still had that gun metal gray romney fleece I lost in the fire.  That would have matched my hair.  

So we have progress.  Now it's time to cast on some z's  . 

No comments: