Thursday, January 8, 2009

Well...we're here

Just arrived in the new town, numb. Numb from driving three hard days on the road. Numb from the reality of "this isn't a vacation road trip" it's a one way trip to a new life. There are a few other things that are numbing me but I don't get into the bad things here. It's very blustery outside, but not that cold. There is still some ice on the walkways but no biggie. I have some road stories to tell.

First... even before we left. The moving truck didn't have enough room for all of our stuff. So we tried to pack as much of it as we could but didn't even come close. The idea of getting a UHAUL trailer came up and for the first few attempts was shot down. I finally gave in and then they came up with an idea. build a 2ND story onto the pick up bed. We were a rocking chair with Granny short of a Tennessee style move. My car was packed to the gills to. So our 9am exit strategy turned into a 5pm slink out of town.

The first leg of the journey was uneventful - 6 hours to Las Vegas. This was going to be a piece of cake. When we got to our timeshare we had no Internet and we were both too tired to call and complain so we suffered in silence. The next morning we headed out to breakfast and to gas up the vehicles and to find some needle stitch holders because my knitting had fallen off of two of 4 needles. That was not very pleasant. We found some places listed in the phone book and one sounded interesting and it was just down the street sort of from where we were staying. It turned out to be a really cute knit/spin/weave shop that had some great yarn and some fiber and books. So I got my point protectors, 2 oz of Alpaca fiber, three really cool balls of sock yarn, the book "A History of Hand Knitting", the two last issues of Interweave Knits and the 2009-2010 listing of fiber shops nationwide, now in a new compact format. Then we headed down the road for the 2ND leg of our journey.

The next leg took us from Las Vegas through the Nevada desert to the town of Midway Utah, where we have another timeshare to stay at. Hubbins missed the sign warning of the avalanche danger. I got to drive through it with full knowledge of impending doom which didn't make me feel very comfortable as I don't like driving in the dark, I don't like driving in icy conditions and I don't like avalanches. Well I could enjoy watching one as long as I wasn't in it and no one else got hurt. But here I was driving in the dark on icy roads through avalanche country. Once we got to where we were staying all I wanted to do was fondle my new fiber page through my new magazines and relax. That didn't last long... it was time for bed. Had I known there was a whirlpool tub in the master bath I would have done that. I didn't find that out until morning. As I was making my last rounds before I left. Note to self: Next time check the whole place out before settling in.

The last leg of our journey took us through the rest of Utah and into Wyoming. There was this one section of highway in Utah where we went through this pass that I can only describe as I have never in my 45 years felt so tiny and insignificant. It was awe inspiring. The rest of the trip was OK, parts were long and tedious. I am glad to be here but I miss my house and all of what I left behind. This has happened so fast my mind can't comprehend it all yet. At least I have Hubbins with me this time. Last time I did something like this I did it on my own. I was OK then and I will be OK this time too. But we'll have to discuss the new house...we at least have six months to figure that out.

Countdown: three days till I start my new job. Not sure when my stuff will arrive on the moving truck. Cable gets installed tomorrow. New life is officially underway.

No comments: