Thursday, May 21, 2009

I had so much fun I forgot to take photos

That's nothing new. That's my usual MO. I went to the woolen mill to spin today. I met the resident crafter, Monna, who is a really sweet lady. We talked about spinning and weaving and felting and essential oils and beads... she sorted and weighed skeins and I spun. The name of the mill is Mountain Meadows. It's located in Buffalo, Wyoming. Just like me. They process local Wyoming raised fleeces into wonderful roving and yarn. They currently have two grades of yarn worsted and bulky and they are working on a sock yarn next. It's really fun fiber to work with. If you spin fine my advice is to pre-draft. It takes dye well and is super sproingy! A lot like CVM. It's a Merino wool but not super over selected uberfine micron. It's great homegrown wool that gives back to the sheep raising community. 10% of the sales go back to the growers. And have I said how pearly and luminous it is when spun up and knit?

I have been making - sorry, designing jewelry lately. I have worked up a couple of prototypes for a ring and a locket and for my spinning accessory kit a wraps per inch guide. I might get gutsy this weekend and experiment with my drill and see if I can make a needle gauge. That would be cool. I can make a fine gauge/ sock needle model and one for medium project size. Come on! Large needles are billboards of their size, the brand, where they were made, what they were made of, website info and a google map to the shop you bought it at. You don't need a gauge for those size 19s!

I need to pick up the needles and knit. My colorful basket of sock yarns from Knit Picks has stopped me dead. I know if I were to take an afternoon and pick up the needles and study the chart, I would get a move on and break the curse. Yes it's the sock knitting curse again.

On a personal note I finally started the diet up again 3/4 assed (not 100% and better than half assed) and I have lost 5 lbs! I used to weigh a lot. I lost 71 pounds then over the past few months I gained back 38 pounds (yeah I know- I'm so ashamed and feel like a beached whale) I am trying to kick the sugar habbit and up my exercise ratio. I hate making diet goals - that's gotten me into trouble before. But ever since I started this program I decided if have a bad eating day I can start fresh the next say. If you don't beat yourself up you are more likely to stick with it. Anyhoo I need to up my exercise and water intake.

I have also made a big effort to sleep more. On that note I'm going to bed.

Nightie night

No comments: